i'm aesthetic.

Friday, October 14, 2011

i took a happy little personality quiz the other day (i would share the link but i closed out of the website as soon as i was done with my results.. oops!)  my results came in the form of  10 little paragraphs telling me about my strongest suits.  I decided to make a small 10 part series out of it.  hooray! 
 
Aesthetic
You appreciate art, beauty, and design; you know that they are not superficial but absolutely crucial to living the good life. You have good taste, and you're proud of it. Those with a high score on the "aesthetic" trait are often employed in literary or artistic professions, enjoy domestic activities — doing things around the house — and are enthusiastic about the arts, reading, and travel.
You don't think it's pretentious to be moved by art and beauty. You're not one of those who believe it doesn't matter what something looks like as long as it does its job.



this is totally me.  art inspires me.  




here's something that bugs me, though...

one of my biggest pet peeves is when people look at artwork much like unto these:





and say something like


oh, a child could have done that 
or
i could have done that in two minutes




really?
could you have?
then let's see you try. 
i'm an art major and i can't even do that.

here is what a child has painted, though:

now do you see the difference?


i guess it just really bugs me because 

A.  I've learned to appreciate art from all walks of life, not just representational art. 
B.  Some of my best artwork has been abstract.  
Artwork that I spend hours upon hours making.  Who is supposed to appreciate my stuff if everyone thinks a child could have done that in two minutes?  It's insulting, yeah?
C.  I am a huge fan of color, and playing with color.  What better way to show off color than in abstract art?


So, my friends, think outside the box today.  Try to embrace the abstract a little bit more.  I think you'll find that you'll like it.  Okay maybe you won't today, but hopefully someday you'll like it a little bit more.  Even if you don't love it.  Try to resist the urge to say things like a child could have made that.  it makes my artist heart hurt a little (okay, a lot)

<3

1 comment:

Beka said...

ok i love the second piece down- beautiful! also, if you find the link for that personality test lemme know! i love those things!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground