valentine shmalentine

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Google Where Did Valentines Day Come From
I would copy/paste what I found on here... But unfortunately my computer is having mass chaotic issues and it will not allow me to do such a thing.
In short, Valentines day originates from this ancient roman man, St. Valentine (go figure) who was martyred for not giving up his Christianity. (go team) He died on February 14. He had written a letter to the jailer's daughter the day he died and signed it "from your Valentine".
Over the years 2/14 became a day of exchanging love messages. In the 1800's, the first commercial valentine cards were introduced..
I think they should have told me the story of Valentines day a LOT sooner. I appreciate it so much better now..
In my mind, valentines day was a day for:
a bunch of girls at school getting roses. Except me, of course.
cheesey stuffed animals holding hearts that say "i wuv you" and ridiculousness like that.
heart shaped boxes of chocolate I was not recieving.
I'm sure you feel my pain in the many single years of Valentines day coming and going.
I learned to hate February 14 and all that came along with it. I still don't look forward to Happy Heart Day, even though as I've gotten older I do enjoy making cards and writing my own versions of love notes to my friends, how much I appreciate them in my life and what have you.
I really hope I don't get anything cheesey. There is nothing worse than a cheesey Valentines day gift.
If you are contemplating what to get me this year and happen to be reading this post, here are some ideas:
a hair accessory or two
lip gloss. simple. always necessary.
new shoes
perfume. mm.
even flowers. Flowers are never cheesey and always make my day.
Alright. I'm going to try to have a positive outlook this year.
I may even wear a color other than black!

2 comments:

Ashley Serena said...

That's actually really useful to know... I've been worrying about V-Day, but if it originally was a day of note giving... I can definitely afford that. :)

Thank you for sharing this! :D

anna mae said...

dear erin, you're cool. also: i just feel the need right now to make a few comments on your blog.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground