like just yesterday.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

I was running late for carpool.
I remember Maegan opened the front door before I could knock. 
I thought it was a movie trailer!
she said
I didn't understand what was going on as she was trying to show me what was happening
I had never heard of the buildings that were all over the television screen


we had to get to school before we could find out what was going on.

all i knew was a plane hit the world trade center.

i was terrified, and i was so sad.

i went to school that day confused (among all the other confused teachers and students) as we tuned in to watch and try to grasp what was going on.  i don't remember doing any schoolwork that day.  we all just watched.  i went home that day and turned on spongebob because i was too horrified to watch reality.
i still can't watch spongebob, it brings back everything i was feeling that day. 

the hours, weeks, months, years later after 9|11|01 changed my life

i was afraid.
i was afraid to be outside when a plane was flying over.
my heart would drop thinking about having to fly.
i was scared of strangers more than ever.
i was angry.
i was only 14 and watched it from the tv
i can't imagine how the people who experienced it first hand felt.



i still cry
listening to the stories.
phonecalls made to families from the planes.
pictures.
police officers.
firemen.
survivors.
people helping complete strangers.

i still watch in shock. it's still so surreal to me.
everyone remembers exactly where they were that day. 



since then, i've grown up a lot.



i'm not afraid of what people can do to hurt others anymore. i know there is a plan set where families can be together forever and i take a whole lot of comfort in that.



i now love to fly and seize the opportunity every chance i get.



i now watch more closely but also love more people.
i'm aware.



i'm stronger and i have grown to appreciate and love all the brave men and women who fight for what is right and fight for freedom. i am so thankful for them who i took for granted before it all became real to me on that day.

***

No comments:

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground