my time managment attempt.

Monday, January 23, 2012

i am a woman of lists.  i make lists for e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g.  goals. daily to-do's. homework assignments to complete. people to write letters to. places i want to go. things i need to buy. wishlists. you name it, i've got a list for it!
well, for now i'm talking specifically about to-do lists.  and sometimes these lists get a little out of control and overwhelming.  especially around finals week when the list seems to be never-ending.  i've tried planners to organize my time, reminders on my phone... and even though i'm a list/organization maniac, when it's all written out I tend to do nothing because it's so overwhelming.
this is what i discovered works for me!  If you are a procrastinator and list-writer like me, maybe you'll like this little tip that actually works.  I write my to do list for the week, but for each day, I write a top 3 priority list to get done for that day. (or if i'm really ambitious, a top 5).

for example:

Weekly:
1. 2D design assignment
2. Write Anna an email.
3. Grade 100 papers
4. Clean room
5. Clean Bathroom
6. Do laundry
7. Sculpture homework
8. Essay for lecture class

etc. etc.

Today:
1. Start 2D assignment:  Make 30 thumbnails
2. Write Anna an email
3. Grade 40 papers.

then obviously the next day some things carry over, and the list adjusts as I go.

Weekly:
1. 2D design assignment Scribble/paint and cut out squares/rectangles.
2. Write Anna an email.
3. Grade 100 60 papers
4. Clean room
5. Clean Bathroom
6. Do laundry
7. Sculpture homework
8. Essay for lecture class


  I have to be realistic about what I can get done that day and often get done with a lot more than I thought I would!  My reward is when i'm done with my list i can blog, be on pinterest, watch Modern Family, hang out with friends or whatever I want.  Seems super easy and really lazy right?  It's brilliant I tell you!  Mostly because something amazing started to happen.  Like I said, once I was done with my top 3 priorities for the day, I started to get even more done and had more free time by the end of the week which is a miracle for me!

Let me know if you try it, if this works for you or if you have other suggestions.  Feel free to share!!

No comments:

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground