my imaginitive effort

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I'll bet many are thinking this is going to be a fashion blog when they first see [the old title], fashionista{in training}.  And, well, once upon a time it may have turned into one.  

After getting most of my generals done, I still didn't know what I wanted to do with my schooling career.  I took a semester off to consider everything.  I remember coming home from taking my final in Biology just sobbing.  I hated school.  I didn't know what I wanted to do but I wanted to get out of what I was doing.  I contemplated everything.  Social Work. Hair School. Elementary Education. Nail Tech. Not going to school at all. Travel Agent. Real Estate. Everything that wasn't me. I had considered and was always interested in Fashion Design but didn't want to make any big move to California or New York(no fashion schools in Utah at the time).  I didn't want to spend a boat load of money and I was far too scared to be out on my own quite yet.  So, I took a break.  I didn't know what I wanted and didn't see any sense in wasting my time or money doing something I didn't love.  I got letters from Aunts and Uncles about the importance of education and how dropping out wasn't the answer(which offended me and made me not want to do school even more... I'm really stubborn that way), even though I wasn't really planning to be completely done done.  

After taking a year off from any kind of school, a dear friend told me about a fashion program she was enrolled in locally in Salt Lake.  Brilliant!  Immediately(after talking it over with my mom) I applied, was accepted, and over the course of the next four semesters I was enrolled in fashion school; studying fashion illustration, pattern making, sewing, fashion history, and textiles.  I was making lots of new friends and actually enjoyed my classes; something I hadn't experienced in a long time.  I had it all planned out:  I was going to finish my Fashion degree and move somewhere glamorous like New York City to pursue a bachelor degree in Bridal Fashion.  I couldn't wait.  In the midst of all of that, I also started a new blog.  Hence the title:  fashionista{in training} (because I was going to fashion school.  so clever, i know...)  Of course, life has a really awesome way of working out according to plan.

My last semester of Fashion school, Fall 2010, I just knew I was in the wrong place.  I have always gone with my gut feelings and knew that if I wanted to go far in life, fashion was not where I needed to be.  I went through some of the same feelings I had before with uncertainty, trying to come up with new life careers, and frankly, feeling like a failure.  Something needed to change soon. 

Then, that same semester on Thanksgiving, my family went to see a movie as is tradition.  The movie was Tangled.  [I know I go on and on about how much I adore the film.  {here is my first post about that} And now you'll know why!]  During I See the Light, I cried.  Cried!  Okay, a lot of movies made me cry, but this one made me cry because A. it was super cute. B. she was realizing her dream of seeing the lights and C. I knew at that moment I wanted to create again.  I wanted to be a part of something big.  And it wasn't until I saw the movie that it really clicked for me.  I went home and immediately looked up on the Disney Animation site the concept art, and qualifications/degrees/experience needed to become an artist for Disney.  

I knew I needed to go back and finish what I had started pre-fashion school.  

That week, I went down to the University.  I talked to a counselor about what my options were and before I knew it I was enrolled in Art classes for the next semester.  Everything just seemed to fall into place.  I know it was where I needed to be at the time.  I am so grateful for the experiences and life lessons I learned while going to fashion school.  I know everything happens for a reason.  I don't quite know yet why my school life had to take a small detour, but I do know I am where I am supposed to be now because everything keeps falling perfectly into place {good indicator, yeah?}.  I still don't know exactly what I want to do with my BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts), but I do know I will be creating.  Which is something I am completely passionate about. 

so in this process of trying to come up with an updated more relevant blog title, I knew it had to incorporate creativity.  Literally. 
dictionary.com is brilliant.  So for ideas one day, I decided to look up the definition.

cre·ate  (kr-t)tr.v. cre·at·ed, cre·at·ing, cre·ates
1. To cause to exist; bring into being. See Synonyms at found1.
2. To give rise to; produce: That remark created a stir.
3. To invest with an office or title; appoint.
4. To produce through artistic or imaginative effort

imaginitive effort.  of course!  those words spoke to me.  
so now, I am introducing to you 

my imaginative effort

this is who I am, and this is my journey to create and put forth my imaginative effort.
 


watch this video to be inspired to be creative yourself!  

happy creating!

4 comments:

Beka said...

i LOVE this and I am so excited for you to be pursuing your dream! it is quite a journey isn't it? i remember being terrified (like Rapunzel) that what if my dream (of going to Africa) wasn't everything i thought it would be, but WHAT IF IT WAS? well going to africa was everything i thought it would be and more. and it has totally changed my path in life! i love the new blog name!

Lauren said...

Hey that's got to be hard to start over. But it'll be worth it and you'll be happier that way in the end. More power to you for on the path of finishing.

Brittany Erin said...

This is so great. I'm so glad you've found something you're passionate about. I'm in the BFA program right now and let me tell you, it has been the best experience of my life.

kara lynn said...

love love love you! so happy for you dear!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground