i don't know you either.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

about a month ago, my dear ecclesiastical leader forwarded me an email

this message:

Hello my friends and Ward Missionaries,

Between the 6 of you, can two of you plan on attending this pizza party?

Sounds like a good chance to associate with some of the home stake YSA's and maybe a few less actives.

the forwarded message was this:

We would like to invite 1 young woman and 1 young man to represent your ward to visit and associate with the youth in our ward on Thursday, Dec 15th at 6 pm - 8pm.
If you would please let me know who would be able to come, we would greatly appreciate it.


Note a few things
1. I am a ward missionary.  Read about my responsibilities here if you so desire. 
2. The forwarded message says associate with the youth

So after reading this I thought.. Okay.  I need to go.  Anna will be gone and I'll have nothing to do.  I also was in the YW Presidency for a bit so this can't be completely horrible and it will be fun to go hang out with some YM/YW again!  Right?
...

so at 6pm the day of the activity I left my house, not really knowing  A. where I was going  or B. who these people are I was supposed to be associating with!  Nobody was going to look familiar. I knew this going into it.

oh the good times never end.

I pulled up to this house and waited there for what seemed like 9 years (2 minutes) and finally a car pulled up behind mine.  We got out of our cars at the same time as I said to the young lady

hey!  are you here for the pizza party!?!

a less enthusiastic response, yeah.

cool. me too!  I'm Erin.. Nice to meet you! 

(trying to make the best of the situation.)

hi... 

we both get up to the door.  she knocked.  I waited. 

a particularly good looking guy answered the door and I thought,  He is not in YM.  There is no way. 
he hugged the lame girl, soo good to see you! blah blah blah.  Then turns to me and says (complete with confused look)

I don't know you.

..

I don't know you either...

..

uhh.. come in?

Thanks. 

So I walk in, naturally. 

And who do I find?
The parents who had sent the email.
the attractive kid.
4 or so other very attractive kids
and the lame girl. 
all standing around. 

Cue the mother
I don't think I know you!

to the group
Hi! I'm Erin, I'm from the Singles ward.... (classic)

to which the mother said something like 
Oh! Yes, this is Erin, she's over the activities in the Singles ward!  I asked her to come to tell us all about the activities happening in the area! 

Uhh.. no?  I'm actually a ward missionary.  ...and I hardly ever go to any activities... sorry!

long pause followed by a subject change! awesome.

...

meanwhile cute boy and his friends start speaking some crazy language to each other. 

say what?!


As it turns out..

this wasn't a youth party after all.

no no.

this was a homecoming party for cute boy and his old companions!  I don't know how lame girl fits in..
So what did I do?
I stayed.  And mingled.  And left finally feeling so completely awkward.
situations like this are just the story of my life, though, so not to worry. 

what would you have done?!

2 comments:

Ashley Serena said...

Oh my lanta... I would've made up some excuse and bolted. How awkward! But it makes for a hilarious story. ;)

Anonymous said...

I would have pretended to receive a text and said that I had to go. Hahaha soooo weird!!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground