the help

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

It's often been noted that before the civil rights era, the American South, while more racist than the North, was in one way more enlightened: Even at the vicious height of Jim Crow, blacks and whites coexisted with a casual and enduring day-to-day intimacy. They'd been living intertwined lives, after all, since the days of slavery. The Help, an emotionally enveloping, sharply alive big-canvas adaptation of Kathryn Stockett's powerful 2009 novel, is rooted in that truth more deeply than just about any Hollywood movie I can name. It understands that the ''separation'' of the races in the South wasn't just a crime — it was a grand illusion.
via


i don't know if you've seen the help

if you haven't

make time and go see it


made me laugh
made me cry (at least 4 seperate times)
made me thankful
made me angry
made me want to make a big difference.
made me think.


i can't even express to you how it moved me.  those black women truly cared about the kids they raised.  they raised them.  not just nannied, babysat or cared for.  raised.  only to be treated like {less than} dirt when the kids grew up.  can you imagine?  they were truly christ-like people.  they loved their enemies.  i have so much respect for the women portrayed in the film.  i don't know if i would be able to just handle something like that and turn the other cheek like they did.  it definitely made me appreciate what i have.  it made me want to reach out and help other people. 

it was just good.

what did you think about it?



No comments:

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground